The Doncaster Naturalists’ Society and its Microscopes

Colin Howes

Historical context: On 3rd September 1839 a meeting of seventeen gentlemen (including Edwin Quekett and Joseph Jackson Lister) took place at Wellclose Square, London, their aim, to form a society for the promotion of microscopical investigation, and for the introduction and improvement of the microscope as a scientific instrument. Thus The Microscopical Society of London was founded and such was its influence and status that by 1866 it had been awarded a Royal Charter.

The Doncaster context: Meanwhile, up in Doncaster, the pharmacist Mathew Henry Stiles of 2 Frenchgate, who also traded in early photographic paraphernalia was quick to join the national organisation. Several of his friends also showed an interest in microscopes and the microscopical investigation of the natural world. So on 9 February 1880, Mathew Stiles, Fred Milner and John Maw Kirk met at Kirk’s house at 13 High Street and these three, together with George Winter launched and publicised the Doncaster Microscopical Society. The number of people in the town who owned microscopes proved to be greater than the founders realised. From an inaugural gathering which took the form of a small conversational meeting and exhibition, such interest was shown that a General Meeting was quickly held at which the officers were appointed, rules agreed and a programme of activities arranged. The first full meeting of the organisation took place on 3 March and of 27 signed up members, 21 attended to hear Mathew Stiles’ lecture on ‘The Microscope and how to use it’.
The second year (1881) was launched by holding a ‘Conversazione’, an ambitious event including lectures, exhibitions, music and refreshments held at the Guildhall and attracting an audience of over 200.
Due to the interests of the expanding membership, the scope of the society was widened, its title changing to the Doncaster Microscopical and General Scientific Society and in a revolutionary gesture for the 1880s, lady members were welcomed.
In 1883 the society agreed to host a series of lectures sponsored by the Gilchrist Educational Trust. Held at the Corn Exchange, these events attracted average attendances of 1,200!
In March 1885 the society hosted in Doncaster the annual meeting of the Yorkshire Naturalists’ Union, the Mayor, Alderman Hough, kindly offering the use of the Mansion House for the event. The Conversazione arranged for the occasion was “without doubt the largest and most brilliant ever held in Doncaster” exhibiting from Doncaster and other YNU affiliated societies, some 60 microscopes featuring “objects from nearly all departments of science”.
Stiles was a prolific researcher on the subject of microscopic plant-life, publishing 28 papers on Diatoms from 1893 to 1934. His promotional work for the use of microscopy by naturalists was recognised in 1900 when he was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal Microscopical Society (Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society 41 (1923): 23-34). The scientific literature also contained papers on microscopic organisms, mainly Rotifers, by other members of the Doncaster Society including R.A. Bellamy, John Maw Kirk and Rev. M. Yate-Allen.
The current evidence: In 2023, while cataloguing the contents of the Society Archive cupboard held at Doncaster Museum, evidence of our former interest in microscopy was revealed in the form of these three 19th century volumes:
Cooke, M.C. (1890) Introduction to Freshwater Algae. Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co. Ltd.
International Scientific Series Vol. LXIX. (Stamped Doncaster Microscopical & General
Scientific Society).
Griffith, J.W. and Henfrey, A. (1875) The Micrographic Dictionary: A guide to the
Examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects.
Vol.II. J. Van Voorst. London. (Hard covers separated from spine).
Griffith, J.W. and Henfrey, A. (1883) The Micrographic Dictionary: A guide to the
Examination and investigation of the structure and nature of micrographic objects.
Vol.III. PLATES. J. Van Voorst. London. (Franked on spine D.M. & G.S.S.).

Also in the archive were three microscopes:
The largest and heaviest is a Petrological Microscope with 3 objectives and 2 eyepieces, manufactured by C and D Scientific Instruments, Hemel Hempstead. Serial no. 7316. This had been acquired (salvaged) in the 1990s at the dispersal of specimens and equipment on the closure of the Geology, Mining & Quarrying department at the Waterdale campus of Doncaster Technical College.
The most recent acquisition is a Stereoscopic Microscope manufactured by ‘ORION’. Model S420 No. 75-4029 with a 10X eyepiece. This had been purchased new in 1997 for the DNS from a discontinued Open University course.

The most aesthetically impressive instrument is a classic 19th century lacquered brass microscope, which featured in the celebrated Mansion House Conversazione of 1885 and in all likelihood belonged to M.H. Stiles. It is a folding monocular microscope manufactured sometime between 1857 and 1865 by Smith, Beck and Beck of London on a cast triangular base with engraved serial number 4297 and range of accessories in a Mahogany ‘clamshell’ case with brass handle and catches.
The Wellcome Collection (via the Science Museum, London) has a compound acromatic microscope of 1857 by Smith and Beck which looks very similar and is described as an “Educational type microscope, suitable for routine work” which was issued with an accompanying booklet.

The dynasty of the Smith and Beck microscopes is interesting and coincides closely with the history and activities of our Doncaster society. The internet ref. https://asiuk.net/mkrbec/Beckmicroscopes.htm gives the following biography. When in 1841, the newly founded Microscopical Society of London placed its first orders for microscopes, the three leading manufacturers were James Smith, Andrew Ross and Hugh Powell. Smith won the order and thrived, taking as an apprentice Richard Beck (a nephew of Joseph Jackson Lister FRS, FRMS) who in 1847 became a partner, the firm being re-named Smith & Beck. In 1851 Richard’s brother Joseph joined the firm having already served an apprenticeship with Troughton & Simms, celebrated manufacturers of scientific instruments. In 1857 Joseph also became a partner, making the firm Smith, Beck & Beck – the maker of our instrument. James Smith retired in 1864 the firm changing in 1865 to R. & J. Beck. The firm became a limited company in 1894 which in 1960 was taken over by Griffin & George Ltd., manufacturer and supplier of science teaching equipment.

The Smith, Beck & Beck folding microscope assembled.
Photo 638

Smith, Beck and Beck of London on a cast triangular base
with engraved serial number 4297.
Photo 661

Folding microscope stored in mahogany case
Photo 668

Mahogany case showing associated eyepieces and other accessories.
Photo 666

Photos to use: 638; 661; 668; 666
Photos. Taken by Nora Boyle 22 May 2023